• Heraklion Archaeological Museum
• Historical Museum of Crete
• Natural History Museum
• The Battle of Crete and National Resistance Museum
• Nikos Kazantzakis Museum
• Lychnostatis Open Air Museum
• Collection of Agia Aikaterini of Sinai
• Museum of Visual Arts
The city hosts three football clubs:
• Ergotelis FC – in Heraklion, plays in the first division.
• OFI Crete in Heraklion, plays in the first division.
• Atsalenios – Football Club of Heraklion which plays in the third division.
Heraklion has been the home town of some of Greece's most significant spirits, including the novelist Nikos Kazantzakis, the poet and Nobel Prize winner Odysseas Elytis and the world-famous painter Domenicos Theotokopoulos (El Greco).
Epitaph on Nikos Kazantzakis' grave. I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, I'm free.
• Elli Alexiou (1894–1988) author
• Aris Diktaios, poet and translator
• Minás Dimákis (1913–1980) poet
• Odysseas Elytis (1911–1996) Nobel awarded poet
• Tess Fragoulis, Greek-Canadian author
• Rea Galanaki (1947–present) author
• Giritli Ali Aziz Efendi (1749-1798), author and diplomat
• Galatea Kazantzaki author
• Nikos Kazantzakis (1883–1957) author
• Pedro de Candia, (1485–1542) author and travel writer, recorded the Spanish Conquest of the