Flensburg is an independent town in the north of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. Flensburg is the centre of the region of Southern Schleswig. After Kiel and Lübeck it is the third largest town in Schleswig-Holstein.
In May 1945 Flensburg was the seat of the last government of Nazi Germany, the so called Flensburg government led by Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz, which was in power from 1 May (Hitler's death) until its dissolution on 23 May.
The nearest larger towns are Kiel (86 km south) and Odense in Denmark (92 km northeast). Flensburg's city centre lies about 7 km from the Danish border.
In Germany, Flensburg is known for
• the nationwide database of traffic violators
• its beer Flensburger Pilsener, also called "Flens"
• the centre of the Danish national minority in Germany
• the greeting Moin
• the large erotic mail-order companies Beate Uhse and Orion
• its handball team SG Flensburg-Handewitt
• the Naval Academy at Mürwik with its sail training ship Gorch Fock